Guild Of Master Sweeps Certified
07587 134589
info@jamesthesweep.co.uk
Guild Of Master Sweeps Certified

Kent firefighters tackle hot ash fire in Staplehurst

SMOKE – rather than love – was in the air at a home in Staplehurst on Valentine’s Day this year, 2020.
But it wasn’t fired by passion: the incident was incredibly serious. Hot ash had been emptied from a log burner onto a cardboard box. You can guess what happened next!


Kent firefighters raced to the scene in two fire engines and arrived at the property in Five Oak Lane at 2.34pm, to find smoke coming from the basement.
The fire crews had to wear breathing apparatus and both a hose reel jet and a covering jet to douse the flames. A high pressure fan was also used to clear the smoke out of the home. Firefighters didn’t leave the scene until 3.56pm.
Kent Fire & Rescue Service says: “Following the incident, crews are reminding the public to always ensure any hot ash has fully cooled before safe and appropriate disposal.”
James the Sweep reminds customers to heed this advice. It’s a too-easy mistake to make but NEVER empty hot embers from a wood burning stove or any other type of appliance, or open fire.
The hazardous dangers are massive. As you can see from the incident in Staplehurst. All it takes is a stray spark or ignition from a hot ember and WHAM you have an out-of-control fire burning your home.

So… how should you dispose of the ash?

– After the fire, leave enough time for the ash to cool down (we’re talking 100 per cent cold).
-That can take a while – so leave enough time for the process! Don’t slumber the fire overnight either, it is highly dangerous and costs you more money
-Always keep the door of the woodburner closed for the ash to cool down.
-Make sure you use safe gear such as a metal bucket and safety gloves to remove cooled down embers – just to be on the safe side!
-Never rush when removing cold ash. Otherwise you could find a cloud ash puffing up in the atmosphere inside your home!
-Put the cold fire ash outside in an area containing no flammable material whatsoever – just to be safe.
-Discard ALL the ash. Don’t let it build up inside a bucket in your home after each fire. That’s a potential hazard.
-Lastly, remember to have your chimney and fireplace set-up regularly inspected and swept by James the Sweep. Phone him now on 07587 134589 to book an appointment.